Monday, February 9, 2015

The Lord Fulfills His Promises---A week of faith!

So much happened this week I really don't even know where to begin! We still have not been able to get in contact with our Brazilian investigator. Sister Davis and I are actually at a loss as to what we need to do. That has been a big struggle for us this week- because our hopes were so high for him. But the Lord tests us and if we do our part he will always fulfill his promises.
The beginning of this week did not go that well at all, but we both decided that we were going to keep going and do our best, because on Monday we had decided to have a week of faith- to do everything in our part to increase our faith and to be obedient.
 On Wednesday As we were walking we passed a Laundromat, I saw some people inside, there was an old lady with a walker reading something- but I didn't think anything of it. We walked by and then all of a sudden Sister Davis started walking slower and slower until she stopped. She then looked at me and said, "I thiiink... we should..." I finished her sentence and said, "go talk to that woman in the Laundromat?" because right as I said that I had the feeling that it was what we needed to do. Sister Davis was scared and grabbed me and asked what on earth are we doing? What do we say? This is not normal. But... I felt very calm, and I told her that we will go in there and tell her the truth- that we walked by and had the feeling to come and talk to her, and then ask her if we could sit down. And that is exactly what we did.
Her name is Frau Kirch- and never in my life have I loved a complete stranger so much. She had a stroke a couple years ago and so her whole left side doesn't work- she was angry at God, at church and just bitter towards the world. I looked into her eyes and noticed how sad they were, it was like looking at an overcast sky, full of clouds ready to break out in a storm. As we spoke her countenance began to change- it was something I could literally see. Heavenly Father does bless us, he puts words into our mouths, and brings scriptures to our remembrance. Frau Kirch was sitting there and told me that she had spoken with countless people of faith and had gotten in arguments and hated speaking with them.
 As she said that I had one clear question come to my mind, I asked her, "So then why are you still listening to us?"
She stared right at me, almost into me and said, "Because I can see a light in your eyes, and it shines." then the spirit put another quiet question in my mind, and I waited a moment and then softly asked, "Do you want to find out where that light comes from?"
The woman looked at me and began to weep. I went right next to her and put my arm around her as the tears rolled down her face. When she was able to speak again she told me that she didn't have enough faith. I shared with her Alma 32, and told her that even when she only had the smallest desire that God will let it grow. As we were talking, the spirit once again prompted me to speak... how do I describe this? I don't know, but I know that the words did not come from me. I looked at her and said that I could also see into her eyes, I told her I knew that she had felt lost and forgotten by God, that she felt that he had abandoned her. That she had suffered many losses in her life that made it hard for her to believe- as the tears fell down her face on that beautiful day in a rundown Laundromat in Herne I bore testimony to her that God had not forgotten her, that she had a heavenly Father who loved her more than she could even know- and I knew it. I could feel his love, it pressed on my heart and on my soul. Heavenly Father sent us to her- of that I know. We sat there and talked with her for two hours, and helped her fold and gather her laundry. We spoke about the plan of salvation, about family, about the Holy Ghost and even baptism. We walked her home and got her number and set up an appointment to meet her.
We had our week of faith and God fulfilled his end of the deal. God is there. He is aware of us, and He loves us.

Liebe Grüße
Sister Shurts


from the scribbled notes of a sister missionary

No comments:

Post a Comment