Monday, May 18, 2015

Von Herne nach Heidelberg!


Well everybody after 7 months in one area I am being transferred this week to the other end of the mission. I am so torn- I am going to miss sister Davis and this ward so much. On Sunday I bore my testimony to our ward and as I was standing there it hit me just how much I love them all. yep I cried. All four of us missionaries sang "High on a Mountain Top" Looking out at the congregation as we sang- my heart was so full. Each of them has taken me in and loved me, and their testimonies have strengthened mine. After church most of the ward members came up to me to give me hugs and wish me well.
I am very humbled though as I prepare myself to go to Heidelberg- President has called me as a Sister Training Leader. So I will be helping and going on splits with sisters in both the Heidelberg zone and the K-Town zone. Honestly I know I will be learning the most from the sisters there- and that they will lift me up- every missionary is such an amazing example to me. Can't wait to experience this new place.

You all remember Sister Williams? haha my half mom (half trainer!) I get to go on splits with her! I am so excited to see her again. We had such a great time together here in Herne- she is an amazing missionary and a great friend! I also will be able to go on splits with Sister Helmick- (from our dear old Dairy Creek ward!) Basically this is a dream come true. :)

Oh this is a great story! Ok so this week on our way home from our split I was talking to a cute old couple on a Bahn (train). And I was asking them about where they were from and what their favorite part was about living in Germany. I then told them about the amazing work that I get to do here in Germany and how I get to work with people and bring them closer to Christ. I guess I was getting a little excited (which is of course completely out of character ;)  because all of a sudden at the next stop a lady stood up to get off and interrupted our conversation and in some not very nice German words told me to be quiet and that no one wants to hear about my religion! I just kind of stared at her a little shocked as did the couple I was talking to. When a man in front of her said, "may I ask you a question? are you afraid of something?" She shook her head mumbled something and hurried off the train. The young man then sat next to me- and started talking to me about our Church- and then the people across the isle from us joined in. What started as a small conversation became a large discussion! It was so cool to see how that lady's plan to stop us from talking about the gospel actually backfired and all of a sudden the people taking part in the conversation tripled. Heavenly Father has a way of blocking all of Satan's attacks! *mic drop*

I have thought a lot about Leadership and Service all week. We are all in essence servants of the Lord- In Doctrine and Covenants 50:26 it says, "He that is ordained of God and sent forth, the same is appointed to be the greatest not withstanding he is the least and the servant of all"

I feel pretty overwhelmed to have this calling but I know that the Lord will help me to know how to strengthen the sisters that I will be working with. A little later in the Doctrine and Covenants it says, "I called you servants for the world's sake, and ye are their servants for my sake" (D&C 93:46) The entire purpose of any calling is to serve- regardless of what we have been called to do. We are here to serve for our Savior Jesus Christ. For his sake. I bore testimony on Sunday that I believe the greatest fulfillment and joy comes from serving, when we turn away from ourselves to seek to lift others. As President Hinkley said, "The best cure for weariness is the challenge of helping someone who is even more tired"
Goodbye Herne
Liebe Grüße
Sister Shurts

from the scribbled notes of a sister missionary

FYI: About Sister Training Leaders from Mormon Newroom:

The role of sister training leader has been created as more female missionaries serve in missions around the world. Sister training leaders will be responsible for the training and welfare of female missionaries assigned to them and will be members of and participate in, the new mission leadership council. Assistants to the president and zone leaders will also participate in the council, and those roles will remain unchanged. Missions will continue to be organized by zones and districts, with district leaders being responsible for baptismal interviews, but the mission leadership council will replace the zone leader council.
Sister training leaders will continue to proselytize and will also spend time each week training and evaluating the needs of female missionaries. They will report directly to the mission president on the needs of sister missionaries. Additionally, the wives of mission presidents are now being asked to play an enhanced role in training and caring for sister missionaries, subject to their individual and family circumstances.


Saying goodbye to Schwester Mitschke
This is a traveling bar outside our apartment... you're welcome

No comments:

Post a Comment