Monday, May 25, 2015

Goodbyes and Hellos

Well everybody I seem to have just landed myself in a little piece of paradise. It is so beautiful- I have been glued to the window all day. My first day here in Heidelberg we went running to a castle- that's right folks... A castle!!! Our apartment is in the old part of the city right on the banks of the Necker river. We are sitting among beautiful green hills dotted with classic German houses and ivy
terraces.

This week was full of saying goodbyes and then a lot of hellos. The hardest goodbye was probably on Wednesday. It was the funeral for Barbara Quada and her daughter. That was a lot harder than I thought it would be. Sister Davis and the the elders and I were asked to sing
the first song at the funeral. We decided to sing, "I know that my Redeemer lives" elder stout played a beautiful rendition of it on the piano while we sang. It was one of the hardest things I've ever done. The chapel was full all the way to the back of the cultural hall- and the spirit that was there was so beautiful and special. I know that a lot of people were hurting and needed to feel the comfort of their Heavenly Father. As we sang I looked out and watched the eyes glistening with tears. And I know that they were feeling comforted.

This week I also said goodbye to Besmir and Familie Ciu Ciu- it was hard to say goodbye, but it was also fun to see how much they have grown. Besmir told me, "without you sister Shurts... I never would have found the church- or made any of these changes in my life" Saying goodbye to Herne was so hard. I can't even put it into words. I will remember these people for the rest of my life. They have made such an impact on me and changed me for the better.
On Thursday morning I said Goodbye to Sister Davis and headed down to Frankfurt- where we all gathered and then caught another train all the way to mannheim, where we caught another train all the way to Heidelberg were we took a strassen bahn and a bus to get home.... and all that with ALL my luggage.... my arms are soooo sore!!! Sister Wahlquist is my new companion! She is so sweet. I can tell that we are going to get along just fine. She is from Idaho, and has a German mother- so her German is great too. We both made a goal to ONLY speak German! It is a really hard goal. But completely doable. We already have a lot of goals and ideas planned for this next transfer. We had our Mission Leadership Council on Friday. Which was really inspirational amazing. I was impressed at the desire that each person there had to serve the Lord.
So far I love Heidelberg. I cannot wait to see what the Lord has in store for me here.

Sister Shurts

ps. I have an Ipad!
Bruder Riebe and Me

Bruder and Schwester Tewes and Me

Schwester Doering me and Tante Inge

Goodbye HERNE!!!

Thats a castle... right next to my apartment... yeah

Sister Wahlquist and me

No comments:

Post a Comment