Monday, September 15, 2014

9/14/14 - First Update from Germany!!

With Sister Jaursch, Michaela's MTC companion, in front of
Preston England Temple
Michaela and Sister Jaursch

So... I'm like in Freaking Germany! I really don't know exactly what I expected, but I do know that I didn't expect to be quite so tired. I finished my MTC training- but I don't feel at all ready- I guess that is where faith comes in. If I press forward in faith then I know that the Lord will provide a way, and make up the difference. I learned so much from my companion in the MTC, Sister Jaursch was an absolute Angel who didn't speak a lick of English- ok i lied, she could say 'how are you doink' but that was it. I learned so much from her about listening and how to communicate and also how to understand her thick accent! We may not have understood eachother all the time, but we learned to love eachother. Can I just say right now, that I'm in love with all the Germans? I don't know if that is allowed but they are awesome! So if I don't come back it is because I married a German and decided to stay in Germany! It was so fun speaking just german for 2 weeks and really learning how to teach the gospel in German. 
In all honesty it was a fun but tough 2 weeks. I have never used my brain so much! But I really just felt so good while at the MTC, it was an amazing experience to be able to learn and grow- and speak SO MUCH German! 
I flew alone from Manchester to Frankfurt and after being forgotten for a couple hours at the airport, running to catch a few busses and not eating for like 12 hours I arrived in GERMANY! Now for the news you have all been waiting for... My first zone in Germany is in Friedrichsdorf, and my area or town is in Wetzlar! My trainer is sister Blackhurst out of American Fork Utah, and I actually have another compaion (we're a trio) and she is also from Utah.. surprise! 
We stayed at a Hotel the first couple nights as all the new missionaries or 'goldens' as they're called went through an orientation.
We went to Frankfurt and did street contacting! It was a glorious sunny day and I was exhausted (but I think I was too excited to really act tired) I think the highlight of the week has been that I have been able to listen to Elder Ballard twice since getting here in Germany! It is so cool to listen to an apostle of the Lord. The first time was a Frankfurt Mission Conference and the second was double stake conference. It was such a great way to start off my mission right and really make goals to do the best that I can for the next 18 months. Wow, that is a daunting thought- I can't believe that I am already here on my mission living in a tiny apartment taking buses to foreign cities and getting lost. haha but it isn't too bad!

I'm really excited to jump into this next week and really get my feet on the ground and understand what it means to be a missionary! :) LOVE IT!!


from the scribbled notes of a sister missionary 




Michaela and Sister Mittleman on the temple grounds
at MTC in England before flying to Germany.

Michaela's first apartment

Michaela's first comapnions: Sis. Peterson and Sis. Blackhurst

No comments:

Post a Comment