Monday, September 22, 2014

9/22/14 Loving the Missionary Life! Loving Germany!!

Soo.... 2 weeks in germany down... it doesn't feel like it- Everyday we are on the move and doing something different. My companions are always laughing at me because any time we get on a train I am just staring out the window in awe. I still can't believe I am here. I think growing up in a tiny one blinking light town is not helping me figure out how to run through large cities to catch trains and busses to get to appointments, but it has been fun to always be on the move. I can't think of any other time in my life when going to bed sounded so nice (and i've only been here 2 weeks!) 
We have a lot of investigators and my companions are awesome and always working hard to do their best. I am really excited to build up the church in Wetzlar we have 5 missionaries in our ward, 2 elders, 3 sisters. I just really feel like now is the time to grow! and I think that the Members in the area feel that too. I have learned a lot about trust in the last couple weeks. Trust in myself, trust in my companions, but most of all trust in the Lord. I was really nervous at first to talk to people on busses or trains or on the street- which probably doesn't sound characteristic of me- but honestly it was pretty hard. But then earlier this week, I felt like the nervousness of being here began to wear off, and I was just able to be myself a little bit more. And that meant being able to talk to people all the time, and when you talk to people and are interested in them- then they become interested in you! And it is in moments like that, that I can explain why I am here in Germany, and that I am a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day saints! I seriously LOVE saying that- I can't keep the smile off my face when i do! 

On Friday we had a meeting with a single mom in Giessen, she was having a hard time and her 5 year old son was crazy hyper. Before the appointment my companions told me that this little boy was litterally insane and there was no way to have a good lesson because he was jumping and yelling and screaming the whole time. I thought about it a lot before we went in, because I wanted this mom to feel like she was loved- so I said a quiet prayer in my heart to be able to find a way to calm little Jamie. We went in and he was there - first of all he was way cute- but also a little crazy- not that bad honsetly (but maybe thats because I have experience with crazy children haha) anyways- as we started the lesson I had the thought to tell jamie cool stories from the book of mormon. So I called him over to the table and we drew and talked about Nephi and Samuel the Lamanite and Jeus coming to the America's. Afterwards the mother and my companions were so surprised at how calm he was- they just had never seen him that quiet! I thought it was really special (even though it made me miss my siblings) it was a bit of a Tender Mercy. 

I love Germany so far! It is a little bit of a different culture- as we ring doorbells, I have decided I have seen my fair share of old men in their underwear and the cigarette smoke is a bit annoying- but the people are down to earth and so fun to talk to! I have talked to people from Russia, California, Bavaria and many parts of Germany- Everyone has their own story to tell- I think that is why I love this so much- because you can learn so much about people. I think there is a speacial spirit as a missionary that really helps you feel how much Heavenly Father loves each and every one of his children. 

anyways- love you all! 

Sister Shurts! 






No comments:

Post a Comment